BOYERS LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307550
Date first listed:
23-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
BOYERS LODGE, WARREN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOYERS LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307550.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 10:22:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOYERS LODGE, WARREN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Blaby (District Authority)
Parish:
Leicester Forest East
National Grid Reference:
SK 52635 02662

Details

LEICESTER FOREST EAST WARREN LANE SK 50 SW 4/47 Boyer's Lodge

II

House. Early C17, with left bay rebuilt C19-C20, and early C18 rear wing. Refurbished c.1985. Timber-frame with whitewashed brick infill is exposed in right gable and is visible inside in original rear wall. Front is roughcast. Granite rubble plinth. Rear wing is of narrow brick with burnt headers. Thatched- roof, brick chimneys. Irregular T-plan. One storey and attic, 3-bay front. Right bay have C20 3-light barred wooden casements, those to ground floor bowed, those to attic in large thatch eyebrows. Ground floor of left bay has similar 2-light bowed window and C20 arched double doors. Gable ends and rear wing have matching casements. C20 lean-to in angle to rear of right bays. Interior has timber-framing with long tension braces in wall between left bays, and stop- chamfered spine beams and joists. Thomas Boyer, one of the keepers of the Royal Forest, is recorded in 1628 as one of several purchasers of Forest land. The house is said to be of the only surviving keeper's lodge associated with Leicester Forest. (John Nichols, History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester, 1775-1811, Vol. IV, p.785).

Listing NGR: SK5263502662

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
188969
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nichols, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester 1775-1811, (1811), 785

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00748/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Arnold. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].