LOWER FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307595
Date first listed:
07-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
LOWER FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWER FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307595 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 15:30:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
LOWER FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cardington
National Grid Reference:
SO 50148 96348

Details

SO 59 NW CARDINGTON C.P. ENCHMARSH

5/34 Lower Farmhouse -

GV II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1677, probably with earlier core,altered and probably partly demolished c.1810 (datestone); probably extended at rear in the mid- to late C19. Coursed and uncoursed yellow/grey sandstone rubble; dressed Hoar Edge Grit sandstone to centre and left at front; C20 machine tile roof. Irregular baffle-entry U-plan with projecting gabled cross-wing to left, probably formerly H-plan with right-hand cross-wing partly demolished c.1810. Two storeys and attic. Chamfered plinth to centre and left-hand cross-wing, early C19 eaves with carved stone brackets; external stone end stack (probably formerly ridge stack) to right with C19 brick top stage and external dressed brown sandstone or siltstone lateral stack to rear also with C19 brick top. 2-window front; late C19 and mid-C20 two- and 3-light wooden and metal casements; C20 boarded door to right. Inverted heart-shaped datestone in apex of cross-wing gable: "1810". Interior: chamfered beams with ogee stops; timber framed square-panelled cross-wall in cross-wing; large open fireplace in central ground-floor room with dressed sandstone reveals, and three C17 cupboards in wall to left with panelled doors, one dated: "16:W:R:E:77". The eaves were raised probably in 1810 (see change in masonry) and a former right-hand cross- wing was also probably partly demolished at the same time (see slight projections to right with return of C17 chamfered plinth).

Listing NGR: SO5014896348

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259575
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].