DRINKING FOUNTAIN IN SOUTH EAST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN OF TOURS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307647

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: DRINKING FOUNTAIN IN SOUTH EAST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN OF TOURS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of DRINKING FOUNTAIN IN SOUTH EAST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN OF TOURS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:23:11.

Location

Statutory Address: DRINKING FOUNTAIN IN SOUTH EAST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN OF TOURS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: West Coker

National Grid Reference: ST 51678 13570

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST COKER CP CHURCH STREET 6151tS 9/241 Drinking Fountain in South East Corner of Churchyard, Church of Saint Martin of Tours - GV II

Drinking fountain. 1887. Ham stone. On squarish base about 600mm wide, with stone bowl about 600mm high, then a tapered column about 2 metres high giving overall effect of a pinnacle; roll moulds to edges, then string course, corner gablets with praying (or drinking) figures, between which are two shields with initials W.C.L. and E.W. (for Miss Wood); short spirelet on top of which a stone state crown. Panel bears the legend "To the Glory of God, built in Jubilee Year 1887. Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again, but whosoever drinketh of the water that I give shall (never thirst John 4 v 13-14)". Text in brackets eroded. The water issues from a lion's head, now fitted with tap. Erected largely at instigation of Miss Wood: the ceremonial silver key with which she 'opened' it is preserved in the Church of Saint Martin of Tours (qv).

Listing NGR: ST5167813570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263799

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing