This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BADGERS COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BADGERS COURT

List entry Number: 1307654

Location

BADGERS COURT, 43 AND 45, SHROPSHIRE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Market Drayton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260376

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 6634-6734 13/72

MARKET DRAYTON C.P. SHROPSHIRE STREET (south-east side) Nos. 43 and 45 (Badgers Court)

GV II

House, now 2 shops and flat. Dated 1651, with mid-to late C19 alterations. Rendered timber framing and plain tile roof. L-plan; 2 framed bays (formerly jettied to front) with rear wing. 2 storeys. 2 gables to front. Brick stack behind ridge just off-centre to right. 3-window front: first-floor segmental-headed 4-pane sashes. shop-fronts consisting of probably mid-C20 projecting 3 x 1 plate glass windows with fascia and late C19 surround with carved brackets supporting moulded cornice; recessed doorway with mid-C19 surround consisting of flanking convex pilaster strips with roundels above and panel above door. Lean-to addition in angle at rear. Reset doorway in rear wing with 4 raised and fielded panels. Interior: square-panelled timber framed right-hand end and rear walls (rear wall with exposed wattle and daub and woven-lath panels). Ovolo- moulded spine beams. Formerly jettied first floor; bressumer with sunk chamfer, carved geometrical patterns, and dated "1651 .:. GS"; evidence of former moulded sub-bressumer or brackets (see each end). Inserted C19 cast-iron posts to support first floor. Re-ordered C17 panelling, some in rear corridor with carved blind arcading and frieze. Late C17 door with 6 raised and fielded panels also in rear corridor. Local people report complete framing with expressed pegs, noted when the render was removed

Listing NGR: SJ6743434050

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ6743434050

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307654 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 06:19:22.

End of official listing