Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307655

Date first listed: 15-May-1986

Statutory Address: SWEENEY HALL, A 483


Ordnance survey map of SWEENEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 02:16:28.


Statutory Address: SWEENEY HALL, A 483

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Oswestry Rural

National Grid Reference: SJ 29320 26545


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SJ 22 NE OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. A 483 (east side)

5/150 Sweeney Hall -


Country house, now hotel. 1805 (datestone to right return) incorporating parts of a late C18 building; extended c.1860 with later additions and alterations. Main building ashlar with earlier red brick service range and outbuildings to rear; low-pitched hipped slate roof with stone ridge stacks hidden behind moulded eaves parapet. 2 storeys; continuous floor band with giant Tuscan pilasters to corners and flanking central porch; 5 x 3 bays, sash windows, those on first floor to front and right return without glazing bars, tall 15-paned sashes to ground floor (dummy windows on each floor to centre and right bays of left return and to centre on right return); canted entrance porch (probably slightly later) has glazing bar sashes to either side of 6-panel door with flanking pilasters; rectangular overlight has C19 stained glass armorial shield with legend "Dread Shame". L-shaped service range to rear (altered in late C19 but with glazing bar sashes and gauged heads) has single-storey yellow-brick corridor extension on south linking main house with Jacobean-style east wing of c.1860: also yellow brick with mullioned windows and prominent red brick ridge and end stacks with shafts of star section. Interior: open-well stone staircase with latticed cast-iron balustrade lit by oval cupola (now with fibreglass glazing); fine plaster frieze to ceiling of left ground- floor room (former library) and further friezes to former drawing room and dining room on right side of house; wooden vaulting in corridor linking main house with east wing said to be based on that in corridors of the House of Commons. The house is set in a fine parkland landscape. B.O.E., p. 300.

Listing NGR: SJ2932026545


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255626

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 300

End of official listing