MARY FIELD MONUMENT IN THE OLD CHURCHYARD 35 METRES SOUTH FROM CHURCH PORCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307660
Date first listed:
19-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
MARY FIELD MONUMENT IN THE OLD CHURCHYARD 35 METRES SOUTH FROM CHURCH PORCH, WARE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARY FIELD MONUMENT IN THE OLD CHURCHYARD 35 METRES SOUTH FROM CHURCH PORCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307660.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 19:37:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
MARY FIELD MONUMENT IN THE OLD CHURCHYARD 35 METRES SOUTH FROM CHURCH PORCH, WARE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Widford
National Grid Reference:
TL 41290 15762

Details

TL 4115 WIDFORD WARE ROAD (north side)

5/4 Mary Field Monument in the old churchyard - 35 metres S from church porch

GV II

Monument. Circa 1792. Limestone. A tall memorial slab with curved moulded top carved with palmette urns in low relief each side. Well cut inscription 'To the Memory of Mrs Mary Field (sic) who departed this Life July 31st 1792. Aged 79 Years'. Below are the lines:

On the green hill top Hard by the Houfe of Prayer a modeft roof And not diftinguished from its neighbour town Save by a flender-tapering length of fpire The Grandame fleeps CHARLES LAMB.

Mary Field, grandmother of Charles Lamb and subject of the poem 'The Grandame', was housekeeper at Blakesware, which adjoins Widford on the NW. Part of the churchyard group.

Listing NGR: TL4129015762

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160046
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04853/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].