HA-HA TO SOUTH AND WEST OF SWEENEY HALL INCORPORATING NON CONFORMIST CEMETERY AT SOUTH WEST CORNER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307663
Date first listed:
15-May-1986
Statutory Address:
HA-HA TO SOUTH AND WEST OF SWEENEY HALL INCORPORATING NON CONFORMIST CEMETERY AT SOUTH WEST CORNER, A 483

Map

Ordnance survey map of HA-HA TO SOUTH AND WEST OF SWEENEY HALL INCORPORATING NON CONFORMIST CEMETERY AT SOUTH WEST CORNER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 09:20:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
HA-HA TO SOUTH AND WEST OF SWEENEY HALL INCORPORATING NON CONFORMIST CEMETERY AT SOUTH WEST CORNER, A 483

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Oswestry Rural
National Grid Reference:
SJ2927726538

Details

SJ 22 NE 5/152

OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. A 483 (east side) Ha-ha to south and west of Sweeney Hall incorporating non-conformist cemetery at south-west corner GV II

Ha-ha and non-conformist cemetery. Ha-ha: mid- to late C18. Coursed limestone rubble with moulded coping. Low wall to west of Sweeney Hall (q.v.), turning at right-angles to east and then to south. In south-west angle a low stone wall with ornamental wrought-iron railings encloses non-conformist cemetery. This contains five recumbent grave slabs: 2 are now illegible but one (re-lettered in late C19) has inscription to Abigail Chetwood (died 1658) and a second a lead inscription plate to A(n)ne Moston (died 1651). Another commemorates Thomas Baker (died 1675), builder of the first Sweeney Hall (q.v.) in 1640, and who offered refuge to members of the Congregational Church of Protestant Dissenters.

Listing NGR: SJ2927726538

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255628
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09185/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Wagg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].