This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER MALTHOUSE ATTACHED TO RIGHT SIDE OF THE WILLOW TREE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER MALTHOUSE ATTACHED TO RIGHT SIDE OF THE WILLOW TREE

List entry Number: 1307692

Location

FORMER MALTHOUSE ATTACHED TO RIGHT SIDE OF THE WILLOW TREE, WILLOW STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Oswestry

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255607

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 2829 NE OSWESTRY C.P. WILLOW STREET

(south-west side) Former malthouse 13/133 attached to right - side of The Willow Tree GV II

Theatre, later malthouse, now disused. Circa 1819 with later additions and alterations. Red brick with uncoursed limestone rubble to left side and regularly coursed limestone to rear gable, slate roof with gable at right-angles to street. 3 levels, stone band with widely spaced dentils to front gable and brick dentilled eaves cornices to left and right; 3 bays, central forming slightly projecting break, segmental-headed fixed-light windows with door to lower right, infilled roundel to gable; right return also has 3 tiers of segmental-headed windows with double doors, one on each floor, to left; infilled round- headed arch to rear gable. Mid- to late C19 two-storey gabled range to rear. Interior: inspection not possible at time of re-survey (August 1985) but said to retain features from use as malthouse; theatre fittings all removed. Opened as a theatre in 1819 but converted to malthouse in 1850s. Isaac Watkin, Oswestry (1920) p. 151.

Listing NGR: SJ2882829813

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Watkin, I, Oswestry, (1920), 151

National Grid Reference: SJ 28828 29815

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 11:24:41.

End of official listing