GIBBS CHEST TOMB, 8 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH PORCH, CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307693
Date first listed:
30-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
GIBBS CHEST TOMB, 8 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH PORCH, CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GIBBS CHEST TOMB, 8 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH PORCH, CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307693 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 17:04:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
GIBBS CHEST TOMB, 8 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH PORCH, CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
West and Middle Chinnock
National Grid Reference:
ST 47219 13114

Details

ST41SE WEST CHINNOCK CP MIDDLE CHINNOCK

3/194 Gibbs Chest Tomb, 8 metres South East of South Porch, Church of Saint Margaret -

GV II

Chest to Mid C18. Ham stone with Keinton inscription panels. Rectangular with semi-cylindrical ends. Base, moulded plinth; proudstanding panels, one to each flank and one curved to each end, set in frame mouldings; moulded and shaped hipped top. Commemorates John Gibbs Senior, died 1735, his wife Sarah, died 1764, and Revd. John Gibbs Junior, died 1757, etc. First inscription probably 1764. Tomb surrounded by paved area with kerb originally surmounted by railings.

Listing NGR: ST4721913114

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
263752
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15173/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neil Tinkley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].