THE GREEN FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307702

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: THE GREEN FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GREEN FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307702 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 09:17:53.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GREEN FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Westbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 31585 11920

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 31 SW WOLLASTON C.P. WINNINGTON GREEN

4/150 The Green Farmhouse -

- II

Farmhouse. Probably C15 or C16 with c.1600 and C19 alterations and mid-to late C20 addition and remodelling. Timber framed, of cruck construction; walls probably rebuilt and rendered, probably over rubblestone; red brick addition; slate roof. 3 framed bays aligned approximately east-west; C20 addition to north- west. One storey and attic. Large C20 flat-topped eaves dormer to south with two 2-light wooden casements flanking central 3-light wooden casement, and gabled dormer to north with 2-light wooden casement; brick ridge stack off-centre to east and external brick end stack to C20 rear wing. South front: 4 windows; late C20 one-, 2- and 3-light wooden casements; half-glazed door in left-hand gable end and boarded door at rear. Interior: at least 2 full cruck trusses; probably c.1600 inserted floor with ogee-stopped chamfered beams; central ground-floor room with ogee-stopped chamfered beams; central ground-floor room with c.1600 large open fireplace which has crude but vigorous symbolic caning depicting (inter alia) dragons, lion with man's head, other figures and beasts; and various symbols including a heart, a sword, latticework, a 3-legged figure (Isle of Man) and some indecipherable lettering. The house was probably formerly an open hall in which the first floor and stack were inserted c.1600. V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p. 194.

Listing NGR: SJ3158511920

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259058

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 194

End of official listing