This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1307703



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Acton Burnell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259671

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ACTON BURNELL C.P. ACTON BURNELL PARK SJ 50 SW 6/19 Keepers Lodge 9.7.85 - II* Shown on O.S. map as Sham Castle. Prospect tower. 1779-80, by Samuel Scoltock. Cement rendered over red brick on rubble plinth, flat roof. Triangular plan with circular corner towers. Gothick style. 2 storeys. Stone coped battlemented parapet; 2 brick stacks to south-west tower. First-floor arched windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds with moulded stops. 3-window front to north- west, ground floor square windows with flat arches; door to right in centre. Interior: first-floor room has enriched plaster wall decoration consisting of swags, drops, roundels with wreaths and trophies, oval plaques with decorative surrounds, enriched plaster cornice with shell decoration, flat ceiling with surviving plaster showing evidence of former decoration, and moulded window architraves; the south-east tower formerly contained a staircase which is said to have been removed soon after the 1939-45 war, a dado rail still marks its course on the wall; a late C18 fireplace formerly in the first-floor room is now said to be in a house in the village. Samuel Scoltock (c.1739-1819) was a brick- layer by trade and with Edward Massey jointly designed Millington's Hospital in Shrewsbury; he is buried in Shrewsbury Abbey. Burnell/ Smythe papers, Shropshire Records Office; Colvin, p.724.

Listing NGR: SJ5443601591

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 54436 01591


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 02:41:21.

End of official listing