HORMEAD BURY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307711

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: HORMEAD BURY, HORSESHOE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HORMEAD BURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:10:28.

Location

Statutory Address: HORMEAD BURY, HORSESHOE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hormead

National Grid Reference: TL 39926 29613

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3929 HORMEAD HORSESHOE LANE (West side) Great Hormead

12/122 Hormead Bury 19.10.51

GV II

Manor house. C17 or earlier, N wing c.1812 for Edward Stables, E range renovated in late C19. Timber frame roughcast but old W range faced with parapet. Brick built N wing with new entrance front and parapet all round. Steep pitched parallel roofs now slated. Hipped slate roof behind parapet of N wing. A T-shaped block of 2 storeys with oldest part facing W a 2-cells, internal chimney block with axial beams. Service wing parallel on E renovated with leaded casement windows in late C19. Taller ground N wing of 2-cells with rear-wall chimneys and entrance hall and staircase hall in centre. N front 3 windows long, symmetrical with central door. Sash windows with glazing bars. Late c19 bay window on W end and large Ground Floor bay at E end. W front of lower old W range has 2 windows to each floor and cornice with parapet over. Tall round headed sash window to Ground Floor (N window replaced by canted late C19 bay) and square proportion 1st floor sash windows to 1st floor. (RCHM (1911)103 no. 3: VCH (1914)71: Pevsner (1977)152: Jackson (1983)15).

Listing NGR: TL3992629613

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 160343

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 71
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 152
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing