THE WHITE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307735

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: THE WHITE HOUSE, 3

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WHITE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307735 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 00:49:46.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WHITE HOUSE, 3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Westbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 39966 10132

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3810-3910 WESTBURY C.P. YOCKLETON

16/138 No. 3 (The White House) -

- II

Shown on O.S. map as Ye Olde House. Cottage. Mid-to late C17 with mid-to late C19 and late C20 alterations and additions. Timber framed of cruck construction with painted brick and rendered panels, partly rebuilt and extended in painted brick; slate roofs. L-plan; 2 framed bays with gabled cross-wing of one framed-bay to left (formerly 2-bays but shortened due to road widening; C20 additions at rear). One storey and attic. Framing: square panels (formerly 3 from sole-plate to wall plate), eaves raised in C19. Brick stack behind ridge off-centre to right and integral lateral brick stack to cross-wing; central gabled eaves dormer with 2-light diamond-leaded casement; two C20 dormers at rear. Gable to left with 2-light diamond-leaded attic casement; 4 windows to ground floor; one-, 2- and 3-light diamond-leaded C19 and C20 wooden casements; entrance at rear. Cross-wing has exposed collar and tie-beam truss with queen struts, and right-hand gable end has exposed tie-beam truss with raking struts. Interior: full cruck truss at junction of 'hall' range and cross-wing with apex missing, collar divided, and tie-beam; chamfered ceiling beams, large open fireplace with chamfered lintel; early C18 attic door with 2 raised and fielded panels and L-hinges. V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p. 304, C. Ryan, The evolution of the peasant house in Shropshire. Medieval-c.1850. The Parish of Westbury, Unpublished thesis (October 1979); Manchester University, p. 122.

Listing NGR: SJ3996610132

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259045

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 304
Ryan, C, The Evolution of the Peasant House in Shropshire Medieval c1850 The Parish of Westbury122

End of official listing