GARDEN FEATURE AT NGR SJ 41366 34472

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307742
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
GARDEN FEATURE AT NGR SJ 41366 34472

Map

Ordnance survey map of GARDEN FEATURE AT NGR SJ 41366 34472
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 08:07:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
GARDEN FEATURE AT NGR SJ 41366 34472

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Welshampton and Lyneal
National Grid Reference:
SJ4136934475

Details

SJ 4034 4134 SJ 41366 34472 18/147

ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. OTELEY Garden feature at N.G.R. SJ 41366 34472

II

Garden feature of uncertain function. Circa 1826 to 1842 for Charles Kynaston Mainwaring. Yellow sandstone ashlar and snecked rock-faced sandstone. In 2 sections, upper consisting of rectangular bastion with corbelled parapet, lower a buttressed revetment wall with coped parapet, some dislodged and lying on ground at time of resurvey (February 1987). Infilled Tudor arch to front of bastion. Charles Kynaston Mainwaring was a keen amateur gardener and he travelled extensively on the continent. It is believed that he was personally responsible for much of the design of the garden and park at Oteley and for the features therein. His house, Oteley Park, built for him in an Elizabethan style on the site of an earlier building between 1826 and 1830 and extended in 1842 was demolished c.1960. B.O.E. p. 226; Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II (1980),pp.106-7; Francis Leach, The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891), pp. 19-23; Mrs. Frances Stackhouse Acton, Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868), p.58.

Listing NGR: SJ4136934475

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260847
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891), 19-23
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 226
Stackhouse Acton, F, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire, (1868), 58
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, , Vol. 2, (1980), 106-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].