THE CHEQUERS WITH WALL AND OUTHOUSES FRONTING CHEQUER LANE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307773

Date first listed: 08-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: THE CHEQUERS WITH WALL AND OUTHOUSES FRONTING CHEQUER LANE, HITCHIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHEQUERS WITH WALL AND OUTHOUSES FRONTING CHEQUER LANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307773 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 08:24:12.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CHEQUERS WITH WALL AND OUTHOUSES FRONTING CHEQUER LANE, HITCHIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Preston

National Grid Reference: TL 17994 24875

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1724 & TL 1824 PRESTON HITCHIN ROAD (West side)

8/95 & 9/95 The Chequers with wall and outhouses fronting Chequer Lane

GV II

House, sometime a public house, with wall and outhouses. C17 or earlier, brick casing and parallel rear wing early C18, recorded as the "Chekers" in 1788, where the manor courts of Temple Dinsley were held, closed as a public house 1959, renovated and extended in 1960s. Timber frame front range, red brick elsewhere and as casing to front range, and infill panels to frame exposed on E gable end. Roughcast gable triangle at W and rear part. Steep old red tile roofs. 2-storeys and cellar, 3 windows long house on road junction facing S, with 2-storeys and cellar parallel rear wing projecting to E and W. S front has plinth and red and blue bricks in Flemish-bond with lighter red dressings to openings and alternating with blue headers in segmental arches below the plat-band. Flush 2-lights casement windows with small panes. Brick casing to W gable later than front. Large internal chimney a third from W end, and projecting E gable chimney with tumbled brick offsets. E end has exposed frame with collar and tie-beam of a clasped-purlin roof and storey-height studs. C20 large segmental flat topped bow window in middle of front. Cellar under W room. Part of rear range projecting at E has plinth, plat-band, box eaves, and moulded brick corbelling to kneeler of moulded brick gable parapet rising to internal gable chimney. S window has light red gauged flat arch. Segmental arches to small windows in end. Cellar below. From rear corner a C20 2-storeys brick and tile wing extends to the NW with entrance door flanked by windows. From SW corner of front range a 2M high brick wall runs NW with battered buttresses, a boarded gate with square piers, and linking to a single-storey gabled outhouse along the N boundary of the site. This has a gable parapet and blocked openings to road and brick infill over a timber sill plate at NE. Interior of house has axial beams, 3-bays framed structure, and large open fireplace to chimney at W end of larger middle bay. Space for lobby-entrance in front of stack, and for stair behind. One cellar is brick vaulted.

Listing NGR: TL1799424875

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162887

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing