THE OLD POST OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307786

Date first listed: 26-May-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: THE OLD POST OFFICE, HUBBAL LANE

Statutory Address: THE OLD POST OFFICE, NEWPORT ROAD

Statutory Address: THE OLD POST OFFICE, TONG HILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD POST OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307786 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:35:28.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD POST OFFICE, HUBBAL LANE

Statutory Address: THE OLD POST OFFICE, NEWPORT ROAD

Statutory Address: THE OLD POST OFFICE, TONG HILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Tong

National Grid Reference: SJ 79687 07384

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 70 NE 6/32

TONG C.P. NEWPORT ROAD (North-East side), The Old Post Office

(formerly listed as The Post Office)

26/5/55

GV II

Entrance Lodge, now house. Late C18 or early C19, re-built to South- East circa 1946. Squared and coursed sandstone, red brick to South-West with stone dressings and old tile roof. Gothick Lodge partly re-built circa 1946 in a Neo-Georgian style. 1½ and 2 storeys. Plinth, string course, triangular pedimented gable end to front with raised brick cornice and verge, and 2 stacks to rear. 1:1:1 bay rhythm; centre bay projecting with small triangular pedimented gable end, and end bays curving outwards. Leaded casements; central first floor 3-light window with arched centre light, and 2-light ground floor windows flanking central 3-light window with carved coat of arms above. North-West front: C20 glazed door to right with Gothick traceried fanlight, and C20 doorcase with reeded pilasters and open triangular pediment; 2 storey canted bay to left with string course and parapet. Courtyard to rear with battlemented wall. This was formerly the North Lodge to Tong Castle (qv) and if the now largely demolished Gothic part was late C18 it was probably by 'Capability' Brown. Included for group value (qv. North gates and gatepiers 30 metres to South- West). N. Pevsner. B.O.E. Shropshire, p.304; G. Griffith, History of Tong and Boscobel, 1894, pp. 154-61. D. H. Robinson, The Wandering Worfe, Waine Research Publications, 1980. Ch.3.

Listing NGR: SJ7968707384

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255321

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Griffith, G, History of Tong and Boscobel, (1894), 154-161
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 304
Robinson, D H, The Wandering Worfe, (1980)

End of official listing