This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1307792



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Oswestry

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 15-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255578

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SJ 2829 SE OSWESTRY C.P. UPPER BROOK STREET and SJ 2829-2929 (north side)

15/104 and Headmaster's House, 12/104 Oswestry School (formerly listed as 10.9.51 Grammar School Headmaster's House) - II

House. Circa 1776 with later additions and alterations. Red brick, double-span slate roof with stone coping and flat top to right gable end, external end stack to left (rear gable) with another stack immediately in front of ridge to left of centre and axial valley stack to right. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic over basement,moulded stone eaves cornice and kneelers to corners; 4-window front, glazing bar sashes with gauged heads; central entrance, Roman Doric porch with 2 pairs of coupled columns and moulded entablature, late C19 half-glazed double doors. 5 windows to rear with central 3 forming pedimented break. Long late C18/early C19 2-storey range set back to left but late C19 and C20 additions to rear and left are not of special architectural interest. Oswestry Grammar School moved from its original location (q.v. under Nos. 1 to 3, Church Terrace) to its present site in 1776 and the headmaster's house was among the first buildings to be completed. B.O.E. p.223.

Listing NGR: SJ2849929255

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 28497 29249


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 10:39:25.

End of official listing