TERRACES, BALUSTRADED BASTIONS, STEPS AND BOAT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307796

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: TERRACES, BALUSTRADED BASTIONS, STEPS AND BOAT HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TERRACES, BALUSTRADED BASTIONS, STEPS AND BOAT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307796 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 13:39:37.

Location

Statutory Address: TERRACES, BALUSTRADED BASTIONS, STEPS AND BOAT HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal

National Grid Reference: SJ4110534732

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. SJ 4034-4134 18/140

OTELEY

Terraces, balustraded bastions, steps and boat house

GV

II

Terraces, balustraded bastions, steps and boat house. Circa 1826 to 1842 for Charles Kynaston Mainwaring. Snecked yellow sandstone with ashlar dressings. Upper and lower terraces, former approximately loom in length and terminating in bastions, latter rather shorter and linked by straight flight of steps roughly at half-way point of upper terrace, continued down to boat house. Upper terrace with ramped parapet has regularly spaced sloping buttresses and a total of four bastions, northern and first from south with projecting balustrades to top. Panelled urn with stepped plinth and base to south bastion. Curious kiln-like structure below approached through chamfered Tudor arches in sides. Various flights of steps down from upper to lower terrace, principal one to centre carried down to boat house with ornamental black and white pebbled paths displaying both guilloche and geometrical patterns. Stone bench to platform above boat house with tourelle to south-west corner. Bank of mere reached by external steps to north side and boat house itself has twin segmental-chamfered arches.

Charles Kynaston Mainwaring was a keen amateur gardener and he travelled extensively on the continent. It is believed that he was personally responsible for much of the design of the garden at Oteley and for the features therein. His house, Oteley Park, built for him in an Elizabethan style on the site of an earlier building between 1826 and 1830 and extended in 1842 was demolished circa 1960. The terraces are magnificently sited above the mere.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 October 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260839

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891), 19-23
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 226
Stackhouse Acton, F, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire, (1868), 58
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, , Vol. 2, (1980), 106-7

End of official listing