This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

IVY COTTAGE THE OLD QUAKER HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: IVY COTTAGE THE OLD QUAKER HOUSE

List entry Number: 1307829

Location

IVY COTTAGE, NORTH STREET
THE OLD QUAKER HOUSE, NORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Milverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 04-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270431

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST1225 MILVERTON CP NORTH STREET (North side)

11/220 Ivy Cottage and The Old Quaker House (formerly listed as Ivy Cottage and Cottage adjoining Ivy Cottage)

25.1.56

GV II

Cottage, now divided. Late C16 early C17, extensively modernized C20. Red sandstone random rubble masonry, steeply pitched corrugated iron roof at South end, double Roman tile to North, brick stack set back to left and truncated large external stack, stepped to right on South facade fronting road. Originally a three cell and cross passage plan fronting Mill Lane to West with outhouse at the North end. South elevation fronting road, one and a half storeys, 2 bays; C20 mullion windows, 2-light in gable end, 4-light below, C20 double Roman tiled bay window in angle of chimney breast right, set back first floor 2-light, all under C17 hood moulds, damaged over latter window. There is a round headed entrance to the yard on the right, entrance to Ivy Cottage is underneath on the left. East facade fronting yard, all C20 mullions. At the northern end of the block The Old Quaker House carries a C20 plaque declaring that this site belonged to the Quakers 1780-1872, and was their meeting house until 1855. Interior not viewed. Ivy Cottage interior: chamfered beam in front room with moulded stone jambs of C16 fireplace, possibly reset. An C18 painting of The Meeting House is reproduced in H L Maynard, The Crown Manor and Burgh of Milverton, 1939.

Listing NGR: ST1225525961

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Maynard, H L , The Crown Manor and Burgh of Milverton, (1939)

National Grid Reference: ST 12254 25959

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 08:10:29.

End of official listing