TUDOR HOUSE RESTAURANT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1307835

Date first listed: 07-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE RESTAURANT, 1 AND 3, CHESHIRE STREET

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE RESTAURANT, 2, SHROPSHIRE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUDOR HOUSE RESTAURANT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 00:29:05.

Location

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE RESTAURANT, 1 AND 3, CHESHIRE STREET

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE RESTAURANT, 2, SHROPSHIRE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Market Drayton

National Grid Reference: SJ 67528 34150

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 6634-6734; 13/26

MARKET DRAYTON C.P., CHESHIRE STREET (south-west side), Nos. 1 and 3 (Tudor House Restaurant)

07.05.52

GV

II*

Pair of houses, latterly bank, now restaurant and shop. Mid-C17, restored in 1962. Timber-framed with plastered infill; ground floor rebuilt in C20 with yellow/grey sandstone/reconstituted stone. Rendered gable end to south- west. Plain tile roof. Framing: tall rectangular first-floor panels with diagonal struts forming chevron patterns and attic tier of quatrefoil panels beneath eaves. Left-hand gable end with two tiers of quatrefoil panels and cusped curved V-struts in apex. Left-hand return front has first-floor closely-spaced studs to left with middle rail and diagonal struts forming lozenge patterns. Jettied first floor and attic with carved brackets supporting ovolo-moulded and carved bressumers (mainly vine trail but sections restorer with a more stylized motif). Jettied gable end with end brackets supporting billet-ornamented and partly carved tie-beam. L-plan; 3 + 4 framed bays. Two storeys and attic. Pair of C20 gabled eaves dormers with small-paned 2- light metal casements. Stacks not visible. Three-window front; first-floor glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes. C20 ground-floor with small-paned Tudor-arched metal windows. Pair of C20 Tudor-arched panelled doors with rectangular overlights. Carriageway to right with pair of half-glazed C20 Tudor-arched doors. Left-hand return front: pair of restored gabled eaves dormers to left with small-paned 2-light metal casements and 3-light attic casement in gable to right. 3+1 first-floor windows; glazing bar sashes to left with exposed boxes and C20 canted oriel to right of 1-: 2-: 1-lights and with dentil cornice to flat top. C20 ground-floor small-paned Tudor- arched metal windows. INTERIOR only partly inspected. Ovolo-moulded ceiling beams. Framed dividing wall between ground-floor room and right-hand carriage- way with sole plate and stone plinth and long straight tension brace. No. 2 Shropshire Street is included in this block. Nos. 1 and 3, Cheshire Street and No. 2, Shropshire Street form an impressive continous range with No. 4 Shropshire Street (q.v.) B.o.E., p.196; Drayton Civic Society, Market Drayton, A Town and its People, p.39.

Listing NGR: SJ6752834150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260329

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Market Drayton A Town and Its People39
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 196

End of official listing