This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HILL END FARM COTTAGE, 1 AND 2, AND ADJOINING DAIRY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HILL END FARM COTTAGE, 1 AND 2, AND ADJOINING DAIRY

List entry Number: 1307860

Location

HILL END FARM COTTAGE, 1 AND 2, AND ADJOINING DAIRY, 1 AND 2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Langley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Feb-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162856

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 12 SE LANGLEY LANGLEY END

4/64 Hill End Farm Cottages, 14.1.77 1, and 2, and adjoining dairy (formerly listed as Hill End Farmhouse and Barn)

GV II

2 farm cottages, outhouses, and dairy all linked in one range. Circa 1911 by E.L. Lutyens said to be for Mrs. Fenwick. Dark red brick in English-bond with lighter red dressings and tile heads to vent-slots in dairy. Red tile-hanging to 1st floor in recessed centre. Steep pitched red tile roofs with continuous tiled eaves corbel but without any bellcast to eaves. The cottages form a single 16-storeys rectangular block facing N with upper floor lit by gable windows to E and W and a large gable central behind the chimney on the S but the front recessed in the centre giving a 2-storeys elevation between lower wings. Moulded plank doors, small-pane wooden flush casements painted white, and roofs of small outhouses on frontage linked to main roof over cross-passages. Massive central red brick chimney with clasping corner pilasters and waisted top. Linked to roof of W outhouse a long single-storey dairy building with similar roof and eaves detail and only 3 small ventilation slots along N side to road. (Pevsner (1977)223: Lutyens Exhib Cat (1981)p.194).

Listing NGR: TL1993823956

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 223
'Arts Council of Great Britain Catalogue' in The Work of the English Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens 1889-1944, (1981), 194

National Grid Reference: TL 19938 23956

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307860 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 07:32:08.

End of official listing