CAUSE CASTLE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307943

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: CAUSE CASTLE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAUSE CASTLE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307943 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 17:04:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CAUSE CASTLE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Westbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 33923 08038

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 30 NW WESTBURY C.P. -

8/96 Cause Castle Farmhouse -

GV II

Shown on O.S. map as Causecastle Farm. Farmhouse. Soon after 1810. Rendered, probably over coursed sandstone rubble; slate roof. L-plan. 2 stages and attic. Deep eaves; 3 symmetrically placed brick ridge stacks. North-east front: 1:1:1:1 bays, centre and outer bays slightly projecting with triangular-pedimented gables above; 12- and 20- paned glazing bar sashes, second and fourth on ground floor blind; central pair of half-glazed doors (glazed with small panes) with 3- bay cast iron porch consisting of plain circular columns, and flat top with diagonally strutted wrought-iron balustrade. Roof dormers and rendered brick lower wing at rear. Interior not inspected but said to contain some reused timbers and likely to be of further interest. The farmhouse stands on the slope of a hill, to the north-west of the extensive earthworks of Caus Castle (County A.M. No. 68). V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p. 310; C. Ryan, The Evolution of the Peasant House in Shropshire.Medieval-c. 1850. The Parish of Westbury, unpublished thesis (October 1979),Manchester University, p. 240.

Listing NGR: SJ3392308038

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259003

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 310
Ryan, C, The Evolution of the Peasant House in Shropshire Medieval c1850 The Parish of Westbury240

End of official listing