FORDHAY HOUSE, WITH WELL 3 METRES TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307948
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
FORDHAY HOUSE, WITH WELL 3 METRES TO SOUTH, FORDHAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORDHAY HOUSE, WITH WELL 3 METRES TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 07:28:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORDHAY HOUSE, WITH WELL 3 METRES TO SOUTH, FORDHAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
East Chinnock
National Grid Reference:
ST 49530 12994

Details

ST41SE EAST CHINNOCK CP FORDHAY (East side)

3/66 Fordhay House, with well 3 metres to South (Fordhay House formerly listed) 19.4.61

GV II

House. Dated 1690. Local stone rubble coursed, Has stone dressings; Welsh slate between coped gables; brick end chimney stacks to main block, and intermediate stack to extension. 2-storeys, 3-bays-with later extensions Eastwards. Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with timber casement infills under labels, 3-light to bays 1 and 3 and 2-light to bay 2, ground floor; above casement windows under exposed timber lintels: old boarded entrance door in plain opening between bays-2 and 3, protected by double hipped lead roofed porch of C19, resting on 4 cast-iron columns. Extension of 3-bays, 2-bays using larger stones, divided by coped gable to East gable; C19 casement windows segmental arched heads below and heavy stone lintels above. On East kneeler gable stone, main block is incised the initial K or R and date 1690. On West, roadside, wall a mounting block and steps. Formerly an inn, according to local tradition, 3 metres South of first extension a well, about 11 metres down to water; old random stone walls below ground, C20 wall above ground.

Listing NGR: ST4953012994

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
263624
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12479/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].