Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1307971

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT ROCH


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT ROCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307971 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2019 at 20:23:36.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT ROCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Closworth

National Grid Reference: ST 52134 10394


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/42 Church of Saint Roch (formerly listed as Church) 19.4.61

- II*

Church. C14 with C15 modifications. Local stone rubble roughly coursed, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles between coped gables with ornamental ridge tiles, cross finial to East gable. Single cell with West tower and small projecting chapel on North side. Plinth, except to part of North side, eaves course; East window pointed late C15 traceried in deep recess, flanked by angled corner buttresses with offsets; South side of 3-bays, bays 1 and 2 have 2-light C14 windows without labels, with a trefoil arched blocked opening between, bay 3 has recessed late C15 traceried window; North side has two 2-light C14 windows without labels with wide half-height buttress between; North chapel simple in character with C15 window of 3-lights. The West tower simple in two stages; plain pointed arched doorway to tower and church on South side, lancet with hoods to North and West sides first stage, and similar windows above on North, West and South sides; simple parapet with corner gargoyles. Internally a boarded and ribbed barrel vault ceiling, with two old crossbeams; trefoil arched piscina and stoup in South wall; very fine monument in cinquefoil recess in North wall, very like North Chapel of 1328 in St Mary, Limington, (qv) with elaborate carved overmantle with supporting figures in corners, the recumbent effigy of a cross-legged knight in unusually good condition, thought to be of Sir John de Domer. (Wickham, Churches of Somerset, 1952).

Listing NGR: ST5213410394


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263600

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Wickham, , Churches of Somerset, (1952)

End of official listing