BRIGGENS HOUSE HOTEL AND ATTACHED UPPER TERRACE AND TANK AT WEST,ALONG A DRIVE,300 METRES SOUTH OF THE LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307983
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
BRIGGENS HOUSE HOTEL AND ATTACHED UPPER TERRACE AND TANK AT WEST,ALONG A DRIVE,300 METRES SOUTH OF THE LODGE, HARLOW ROAD (A414)

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIGGENS HOUSE HOTEL AND ATTACHED UPPER TERRACE AND TANK AT WEST,ALONG A DRIVE,300 METRES SOUTH OF THE LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307983 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 16:23:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIGGENS HOUSE HOTEL AND ATTACHED UPPER TERRACE AND TANK AT WEST,ALONG A DRIVE,300 METRES SOUTH OF THE LODGE, HARLOW ROAD (A414)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hunsdon
National Grid Reference:
TL 41392 11201

Details

TL 41SW 2/26

HUNSDON, HARLOW ROAD (A414) (South Side), Briggens House Hotel (formerly listed as Briggens) and attached Upper Terrace and Tank at W, along a drive, 300 metres S. of the Lodge

24.1.67

G.V. II

Country House, now an hotel. Circa 1719 by the mason Christopher Cass (1678-1734) (Gunnis (1968) 88) for Robert Chester, a director of South Sea Company: 2-bay N and S blocks and 2nd floor added for Thomas Blackmore probably c1770 (name and date on stable bell): N end and W side extensions in 1899: alterations 1908 for H C Gibbs (RCHM Typescript). Former country house on hilltop site facing W in a landscaped park probably designed by Bridgeman. Grey brick with stone dressings, hipped slate roof, Portland stone upper terrace on S end overlooking a tank of York stone. 3 storeys above basement, 7 windows front. 3-window central portion breaks forward. Stone bands at each floor level and blocking course to stone cornice. 2-window, 2 storeys and mansard side wings rebuilt in C19, project and are linked by a single storey stone screen with 6 casement windows flanking door with open pediment. 3-window block on S end with upper terrace in Portland stone attached facing S. Balustrade of low square piers with stone rails between supported on stone balls. E front has large full height 3-window central bow and basement storey clad in stone. Recessed sash windows generally. A drawing exists for a chimneypiece for Briggens by James Thornhill dated 1720 but the interior is completely C19. A large C18 country house with later additions, in a prominent position on a hilltop. Part of an immediate group of outbuildings and part of a wider landscape composition. (VCH (1912) 325-6: Gibbs (1915) 23-6: Pevsner (1977) 343: HLHS (1979) 38: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4139211201

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159963
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 325-6
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 88
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07758/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].