MUTFORDS (750 METRES ALONG DRIVE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1308002
Date first listed:
13-Dec-1984
Statutory Address:
MUTFORDS (750 METRES ALONG DRIVE), BARKWAY ROAD (B1368)

Map

Ordnance survey map of MUTFORDS (750 METRES ALONG DRIVE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 12:52:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
MUTFORDS (750 METRES ALONG DRIVE), BARKWAY ROAD (B1368)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hormead
National Grid Reference:
TL 39966 28372

Details

TL 32 NE HORMEAD BARKWAY ROAD (B1368) (East side) Little Hormead

3/54 Mutfords - (750 m along drive)

- II

House. Circa 1719 for Samuel Mason, rear extension c.1900. Red brick with roughcast and tile hanging on rear extension. Steep old red tile roofs. An early Georgian house on an ancient moated site, facing S. 2 storeys, attics and cellar, 5 windows wide with 3 hipped dormers. Symmetrical front with rendered plinth, floor band and moulded wooden eaves cornice. Brick-on-edge gable copings. Rubbed brick flat arches to windows on each floor but round headed taller window over central door lighting staircase. Flush box sashes with small panes but some 2/2 C19 sashes remain, 6-panel raised and fielded door with simple wooden moulded doorcase with a swelled frieze and dentilled triangular pediment. On Ground Floor W room has fielded panelling and moulded cornice, E room has panelled dado, ovolo moulded folding shutters, staircase has cut string, barleysugar twist balusters, wreathed foot, and carved ends to treads. The plan is unusual having the stair rising towards and lit from the front wall, cellar under room with W gable fireplace, but chimney of E room backing onto central stair hall.(Jackson (1983)19).

Listing NGR: TL3996628372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160275
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/02895/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].