CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308010

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), HIGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308010 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:28:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), HIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Thundridge

National Grid Reference: TL 36387 18675

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

High Cross TL 36 18 STANDON HIGH ROAD (east side)

9/4 Church of St John the Evangelist (C of E)

GV II

Church. 1846. By Anothony Salvin (1799 -1881) for Dame Lousia Giles Puller of Youngsbury. Tower added 1906. Ragstone with freestone limestone dressing and ashlar battlemented tower parapet. Steep slate roof carried down in flatter pitched catslide over N aisle. Small copper spike to tower. In Decorated style a square ended chancel, wider nave with 4-bay arcade to N aisle, gabled S porch, NE gabled vestry, and SE 3- stage tower with clock. Diagonal corner buttresses, gable parapets and apex crosses. Single-light pointed and cusped windows to aisle. 2 2-light and one single-light window to S wall of nave. 4-light Dec. E window and similar 3-light W windows. Interior austere with arch-braced open roofs on stone corbels. Arcade with equilateral arches in 2 chamfered orders and octagonal piers with C14 moulded caps and bases. Unusual octagonal stone font with deep band of cusped panel work around bowl. Stained glass: E window 1876 an early work by Kempe; W window c1893 by Selwyn Image of Christ with Mary and John most extraordinary for that date in its design according to Pevsner; pre-Raphaelite 2-light SE window in nave C1893 by Helen Coombe (Mrs Roger Fry). (Pevsner (1977) 195).

Listing NGR: TL3638718675

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 161061

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing