CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1308042
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 14:47:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hinstock
National Grid Reference:
SJ 69437 26344

Details

HINSTOCK C.P. CHURCH STREET SJ 62 NE (north side) 7/33 Church of Saint - Oswald

GV II

Parish church. 1719-20, tower c.1800 and south aisle and west porch of c.1850. Red sandstone ashlar and plain tile roofs, separately over nave and aisle. Nave and chancel in one with west tower, and south aisle with west porch. Gothic tower. Tower: 3 stages. Chamfered plinth, chamfered off-set to belfry, coped parapet with coved string, and weathervane. Louvred chamfered lancet belfry openings. West front with first and second-stage chamfered lancets. Lozenge-shaped clock below belfry opening. Nave and chancel: coped parapeted gable ends, with cross at apex to east. 3 bays; round-arched windows with half-H aprons and plain architraves with impost blocks. East end: large round-arched window of 2 round arched lights with 'Venetian' tracery (c.1850), half-H apron and plain architraves with impost blocks and raised keystone. South aisle: chamfered plinth and eaves, parapeted gable ends with chamfered coping and moulded kneelers. External stone end stack to west with octagonal shaft. 3 bays; round- arched windows with half-H aprons, plain architraves, impost blocks and raised keystones. Round-arched doorway to south-east with raised keystone and boarded door with strap hinges. West end: round-arched window with keystone. Round-arched west doorway with chamfered reveals, raised keystone and pair of 2-panelled doors. Portch with chamfered plinth and eaves and coped parapeted gable with moulded kneelers. Boarded door with strap hinges, chamfered reveals and keyed lintel. Chamfered trefoil side window to south. East end: large round-arched window with half-H apron and plain architrave with impost blocks and raised keystone. Interior: central c.1850 four-bay arcade consisting of octagonal piers with moulded capitals and chamfered round arches. Chamfered tower arch. C18 six-bay nave roof consisting of king post trusses with cambered tie beams and pairs of purlins. Circa 1850 four-bay aisle roof consisting of chamfered arch-braced collar trusses springing from stone corbels with king posts, and single purlins. Fittings: C19 wooden reredos in base of window; C19 altar rails on 2 sides with twisted balustersand moulded rail; C18 polygonal wooden pulpit, 2 panels high with moulded ribs and cornice; C19 wooden lectern incorporating reused carved C17 Panel; C19 choir stalls; c.180O box pews without doors; c.1800 former family pew with door at right angles to alter in south aisle; octagonal stone font with moulded base and stem, bowl dated 1853, and iron-bound wooden cover. Large organ. Encaustic tiles to sanctuary. C19 stained glass in east window. B.O.E., p.150; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 8, p.690.

Listing NGR: SJ6943726344

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260184
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 690
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 150

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07695/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony J Dunford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].