CHESWARDINE ROAD BRIDGE (BRIDGE NUMBER 56)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1308054
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
CHESWARDINE ROAD BRIDGE (BRIDGE NUMBER 56), SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL, HAYWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHESWARDINE ROAD BRIDGE (BRIDGE NUMBER 56)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308054 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 13:37:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHESWARDINE ROAD BRIDGE (BRIDGE NUMBER 56), SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL, HAYWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cheswardine
District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sutton upon Tern
National Grid Reference:
SJ7001030123

Details

CHESWARDINE C.P.

SJ 73 SW

4/21

SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL, Haywood Road

Chewardine Road Bridge (Bridge Number 56)

II

Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers. Dressed red sandstone with tooled ashlar dressings. Elliptical arch with voussoirs and raised keystone. Flat string course, and parapet with square end piers and rounded coping. Slightly battered and curved abutments. Oval cast-iron number plate.

This stretch of the canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13 September 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260171
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 183-9
Pellow, T, Bowen, P, The Shroppie A Portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09335/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].