TITHE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308103

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: TITHE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TITHE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308103 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 20:23:28.

Location

Statutory Address: TITHE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ford

National Grid Reference: SJ 41365 11309

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 41 SW FORD C.P. FORD HEATH

6/70 Tithe House - - II

Farmhouse, now disused. Dated 1755. Red brick on coursed rubblestone plinth; asbestos slate roof. 2-room plan. One storey and gable-lit attic. Projecting brick eaves courses and parapeted gable ends with chamfered red sandstone copings; external brick end stacks. 2- window front; C19 two-light wooden casements, that to right with segmental head; central 2-panelled door and brick porch with chamfered stone-coped parapeted gable and yellow sandstone datestone: A 2-light wooden casements flanking stacks in each gable end. T : M Two 2-light wooden casements at rear. One storey out-house 1755 set back to right with brick end stack. Interior: staircase up from entrance; left-hand ground-floor room with pair of transverse beams, and large open fireplace with bread oven and cast iron range. This house was built for Thomas Ambler, the improprieter of the tithes of Ford, and later occupied by his tithe collector. It is an early and a well preserved small post-enclosure farmhouse and is specially notable as a dated example. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p. 228.

Listing NGR: SJ4136511309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 258975

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 228

End of official listing