Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308108

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1985

Statutory Address: LYDHAM MANOR, A488


Ordnance survey map of LYDHAM MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308108 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 04:19:09.


Statutory Address: LYDHAM MANOR, A488

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lydham

National Grid Reference: SO3305589953


SO 38 NW 5/143

LYDHAM C.P. A488 (west side) Lydham Manor

GV II Stable block, now house. Circa 1814-16, probably by John Hiram Haycock of Shrewsbury for the Rev. Herbert Oakley. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, partially rendered to rear, and hipped slate roof. U-plan with wall enclosing courtyard to rear. 2 storeys. Deep eaves and 5 stacks. 9 bays on first floor; slightly projecting end bays with triangular pedimented gables, slightly projecting centre bay with cornice, solid attic with clock and coping, and wooden cupola with louvred round-arched openings, tented lead cap, and weathervane. First floor early C19 wooden mullioned and transomed windows, ground floor glazing bar sashes taken from former Lydham Manor, now demolished. Large central blocked round-arched carriageway with impost bands, central door from former house with 6 raised and fielded panels; sandstone ashlar porch from former house with 2 Corinthian columns, frieze and cornice, and radial fanlight above. Lydham Manor was formerly known as Oakeley Park or House; the wings and pavilions of the old house were demolished in the 1930's and the rest of the house in the 1960's, when the name was trans- ferred to the stable block. Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, John Murray, 1978, P.408; Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Hereford, Salop, Warwicks Worcs 19 0, P.100; Salop Records Office, 1079/13.

Listing NGR: SO3305589953


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 257057

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 408
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, , Vol. 2, (1980), 100

End of official listing