CHURCHYARD CROSS, 5 METRES SOUTH OF PORCH, CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308144

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD CROSS, 5 METRES SOUTH OF PORCH, CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHYARD CROSS, 5 METRES SOUTH OF PORCH, CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 03:32:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD CROSS, 5 METRES SOUTH OF PORCH, CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Stringston

National Grid Reference: ST 17645 42390

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST14SE STRINGSTON CP

6/197 Churchyard Cross, 5 metres South of porch, Church of St Mary

-

GV II*

Churchyard Cross. Late C14, restored early C20. Sandstone and concrete. Two stage calvary, octagon on wide square plinth with broached corners forming octagon and octagonal tapering shaft, broached corners and metal ties renewed with concrete. Surmounted by abacus, richly carved with foliage, carrying a pierced head likewise very richly ornamented and now somewhat eroded. According to Pooley, each face is embellished with a pair of trefoil headed canopied niches divided by a mullion which on the East side is enlarged to form the Holy Rood and on the West the Virgin and child. The North and South faces have a bishop and a knight respectively in canopied niches. A rare example of this highly ornamental type of churchyard cross. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No. 250). (Photograph in NMR; Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877).

Listing NGR: ST1764542390

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265257

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pooley, C, An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, (1877)

End of official listing