This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WALKERN FREE CHURCH (UNITED REFORMED METHODIST)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALKERN FREE CHURCH (UNITED REFORMED METHODIST)

List entry Number: 1308152

Location

WALKERN FREE CHURCH (UNITED REFORMED METHODIST), HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Walkern

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159678

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 22 NE WALKERN HIGH STREET (east side)

1/4 Walkern Free Church (United Reformed - Methodist)

GV II

Chapel. 1811, as a Congregational chapel (VCH (1912) 158). Stucco on brick, lined as ashlar. Slate roofs. Ogee cusped wooden bargeboards to main roof. A small rectangular chapel orientated E-W, set back some distance from the road, surrounded by its graveyard. Entrance in the middle of the W end. Lower gabled vestry with external gable chimney projects at SE, entered from W. The W front has a round-headed cast-iron framed window with small panes set above the central rectangular recessed entrance. Fluted surround to door with lozenge-decorated corner blocks, and small rectangular fanlight between shaped brackets supporting the flat hood. Panelled door renewed. Pointed large cast iron windows with margin lights and small panes, one in each side and 2 at E end framing the pine pulpit-back with similar pointed arch. Pine dado and bench seating in simple interior. Vestry has a 4-panel flush-beaded door and a smaller cast iron pointed window to the right, with lattice panes and margin lights. A little-changed early C19 village chapel.

Listing NGR: TL2905126572

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 158

National Grid Reference: TL 29046 26574

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 02:58:03.

End of official listing