UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING HALL TO NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308184

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING HALL TO NORTH, BISHOPS HULL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING HALL TO NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308184 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:47:38.

Location

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ADJOINING HALL TO NORTH, BISHOPS HULL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Bishop's Hull

National Grid Reference: ST 20319 24611

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST2024 BISHOP'S HULL CP BISHOP'S HULL ROAD (West side)

13/14 United Reformed Church and adjoining Hall to North (formerly listed as Congregational Chapel) 25.2.55

GV II

Congregational chapel and schoolroom, now United Reform Church and hall. Late Cl8, reroofed 1874, gallery added 1883 and hall enlarged. Gable end onto road, flanked by single storey porches North and South, adjoining schoolroom set back at South West corner. Rendered over rubble, slate roof, gable end onto road,coped verges, string course forming pediment cut by apex of East window, quoins, rusticated base with upper course swept up to base of East window, 4-light ogee headed with trefoil cusping and rusticated surround, 2 bay returns, entrance through flat- roofed, single storey porches with panelled double doors and sidelights; South porch possibly earlier with ogee headed side- light while North has pointed arch. 2 storey, 5 bay hall adjoining with C20 fenestration. Interior: late C19 fittings, cast iron columns carry East end gallery with wrought iron hand rail and wooden panels. Collection of late C18 and early C19 wooden tablets painted black and white to resemble marble and slate, the material of which the mid - late C19 tablets are composed. The body of the church may date from as early as 1718. (SANHS Proceedings, Vol 58, 1912; Photograph in NMR),

Listing NGR: ST2031924611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270523

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1912)

End of official listing