ROWTON LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1308201
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
ROWTON LODGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROWTON LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308201 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 01:05:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROWTON LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alberbury with Cardeston
National Grid Reference:
SJ 38158 12548

Details

SJ 3812-3912 ALBERBURY WITH ROWTON CARDESTON C.P. 15/50 Rowton Lodge

GV - II

Entrance lodge. Probably 1809-12, by Geoge Wyatt (1782-1856), with later additions. Coursed Alberbury breccia rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings; hipped thatched roof. L-plan; Tudor Gothic style/cottage orne. One storey. Integral brick end stack to right with star-shaped shaft and brick stack to rear wing with 2 star-shaped shafts. Canted bay to right: 1:2:1 diamond leaded casements with Tudor-arched lights and chamfered reveals; 3-bay loggia/porch to left with chamfered Tudor arches, diagonal buttress with chamfered offset, and one-bay return to left; one-light casement within loggia and boarded door in return to right. 2-light casement in left-hand return front, and 1-, 2-, and 3-light casements in right-hand return front. The rear wing has been extended twice (see straight joints). Interior not inspected. Rowton Lodge is the south-eastern entrance lodge to Rowton Castle (qv).

Listing NGR: SJ3815812548

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258955
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/09684/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Leach. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].