CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308204

Date first listed: 16-May-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308204 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 02:51:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Litchfield and Woodcott

National Grid Reference: SU 46160 54030

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 45 SE LITCHFIELD & WOODCOTT LITCHFIELD 5/2

16.5.66 Church of St James II*

Norman, Transitional, C17, and restored 1874. Single-cell nave and chancel, with a north aisle, south porch and bell turret of the restoration date. The arcade has 3 pointed arches on rectangular piers, with chamfers and plinth; the arches of the (former) south aisle are visible in the infill walling (showing a round column with a scalloped cap). The chancel has a high (Norman) and low window on each side, the nave and aisle windows being modern lancets (grouped in the north aisle). The nave is separated from the chancel by a wooden screen (dated 1655) with slender arcading between the main frames, designed to be fixed to medieval stone bracket on each side. old and badly worn font. Externally, there is a plain tile roof, a western turret with a small broad spire. The walling is flint with stone dressings. A plaque on the porch gable is dated 1875.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 138381

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing