FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308221

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL, SANDY HOLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308221 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 06:14:03.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL, SANDY HOLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Merriott

National Grid Reference: ST 44210 12838

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP SANDY HOLE (East side)

9/152 Former Sunday School

GV II

Former Anglican Sunday school, now used as part of Merriott First School (qv). 1834. Ham stone rubble; gables and dressings in ashlar; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables having cross finials, metal ventilators to ridge; later brick chimney stacks on west side. Single-storey, 5 bays. West elevation has hollow-chamfer mullioned windows, 2-light with segmental arched light heads and incised spandrils, set under square labels. To centre bay an elliptical-arched recess under square label, with pair of studded and boarded doors, up a flight of 5+1 stone steps with wrought-iron handrail. Above doorway a plaque inscribed "Redeem thy Creator in the days of thy youth - Ecc 12". Extension on north gable behind wing wall, which has plain doorway. South gable has a 4-light transomed window to latch, set high, with plaque over inscribed 'Merriott Sunday School 1834". East elevation matches west, except that centre bay has a taller window with transome, the head being set into a gable. Interior not seen, but apparently little altered. By 1861 this building used as a National Day School, then in 1875/6 became a mixed Board school, after the erection of the Infants Board school across the road: both schools were merged as Merriott First School in 1972 (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p61).

Listing NGR: ST4421012838

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262402

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 61

End of official listing