WESTON WINDMILL AT THE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308249

Date first listed: 28-May-1987

Statutory Address: WESTON WINDMILL AT THE MILL, HITCHIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WESTON WINDMILL AT THE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308249 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 23:16:59.

Location

Statutory Address: WESTON WINDMILL AT THE MILL, HITCHIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Weston

National Grid Reference: TL 25292 30541

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON HITCHIN ROAD TL 23 SE (North side)

7/125 Weston Windmill - at The Mill

- II

Tower of windmill. 'R X tey 1860' on brick over entrance, for Richard Christey the miller. Worked by wind until c.1922. Now lacks cap and machinery. Red brick in English-bond, with timber floors, and cast iron window frames. A tall circular brick tower, tapering upwards from c.7M max. diameter at base. 3 courses of brick corbels at top to support curb of cap now gone. 2-ring round-arched openings at 5 levels with small-paned cast iron windows set vertical in the sloping brick face (i.e. recessed further at sills). Central pivoted opening pane. Openings at cardinal points with ground floor doorways N and S, doorway with ladder on E at first floor. Only one window on N, at 4th floor. Plank doors with heavy wooden frame chamfered on lintel and jambs with bar-stops, 27½ inches thick wall at ground floor. Massive floor structure to support stones on 3rd floor. Flat roof to top. Old photo shows mill had 4 sails, slats to sails, fantail, pointed ogee cap with ball terminal. (VCH (1912)173: Branch Johnson (1970)52,181: Pevsner (1977)402).

Listing NGR: TL2529230541

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162737

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 181
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 173
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 402

End of official listing