ST HUGH'S PREPARATORY SCHOOL AT ST EDMUND'S COLLEGE (RC) (TO SOUTH OF ALLEN HALL)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308294

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: ST HUGH'S PREPARATORY SCHOOL AT ST EDMUND'S COLLEGE (RC) (TO SOUTH OF ALLEN HALL), CAMBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST HUGH'S PREPARATORY SCHOOL AT ST EDMUND'S COLLEGE (RC) (TO SOUTH OF ALLEN HALL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308294 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:15:34.

Location

Statutory Address: ST HUGH'S PREPARATORY SCHOOL AT ST EDMUND'S COLLEGE (RC) (TO SOUTH OF ALLEN HALL), CAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Standon

National Grid Reference: TL 37172 21944

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Old Hall Green TL 32 SE STANDON CAMBRIDGE ROAD (west side)

St Hugh 's Preparatory School at 1/16 St Edmund's College (RC) (to S of Allen Hall) (formerly listed as St Hugh's School under St Edmund's EC 24.1.67 College, Old Hall Green) GV II

House, now a prep school. 1851 by Augustus Welby Pugin for Ward headmaster of St Edmund's College. Subsequently extended to rear (W) and Schoolroom added in similar style in C19. Chapel of 1938 and classroom wing beyond of 1961 not of special interest. 2 storeys grey brick irregular H-plan house with red brick used on less important parts on N and W sides. Steep red tile roofs. Large single-storey red brick hipped tile roof schoolroom attached at W, now pebbledashed in part. Gothic style throughout. E front has symmetrical 3-windows part on right and entrance in the angle with a deeply recessed part on the left. Right hand part has 2- storeys canted stone mullioned bay windows flanking a single storey central canted porch. 2 similar canted bay windows on left and 4-centred stone entrance doorway with carved spandrels, moulded label, 2 carved plaques above (one with a crest of a lamb holding a papal key, the other with the Ward monogram). An oriel window projects over the door.

Listing NGR: TL3717221944

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 161030

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing