GROUP OF THREE MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 3 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH CHAPEL, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308334

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: GROUP OF THREE MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 3 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH CHAPEL, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF THREE MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 3 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH CHAPEL, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308334 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 20:09:01.

Location

Statutory Address: GROUP OF THREE MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 3 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH CHAPEL, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Merriott

National Grid Reference: ST 44282 12836

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP CHURCH STREET (North side)

9/114 Group of three monuments in churchyard, about 3 metres south of south chapel, Church of All Saints

GV II

Group of two chest tombs and a headstone. (a) French monument about 2 metres south of south chapel: Chest tomb. Early C19. Ham stone. Base buried; one panel each face, the ends having incised Greek key ornament and the flanks having incised panels with reverse curves to corners; linenfold panelled pilasters to all faces; moulding coving of very wide projection, with shallow hipped top. Commemorates William (Fren)ch, no death date. (b) French monument about 3 metres south of south chapel: Chest tomb. C18. Ham stone. Base buried: one panel each end and 2 each flank, with fluted Ionic pilasters to each face; moulded coving to shallow hipped top with rounded leading edges. Commemorates John French, died ____, and his wife ____, died 1723. (c) Unidentified tombstone about 2 metres south of (b): Tombstone. Late C17. Ham stone, about 400mm wide x 600mm high x 100mm thick, with chamfered back; shouldered semi-circular arched top, with dentilled frame having imposts and keystone. Commemorates Agnes, the wife of ___ ___, died 1698.

Listing NGR: ST4428212836

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262364

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing