CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308352

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308352 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 01:28:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Rand

National Grid Reference: TF1069979070

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAND CHURCH LANE TF 17 NW (north side) 2/42 Church of St. Oswald 30.11.66 II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, nave rebuilt in c.1820, chancel mostly rebuilt in 1862 by R. J. Withers. Coursed limestone rubble, some greenstone and ironstone rubble, some limestone ashlar, some red brick and some render. Slate roofs with stone coped gables, single cross finial and a few decorative ridge tiles. West tower, nave, with north vestry, rectangular chancel. Mid C14 west tower with plinth, moulded string course and 3 stage diagonal buttresses up to bell stage. Pointed west doorway with moulded surround, hood mould and plank doors. Small late C13 pointed window inserted above with Y tracery, hood mould and single mid C12 long snouted dragon head label stop. Weathered head immediately above. Small rectangular opening in south side just below moulded string course defining bell stage. Bell openings on all 4 sides, those on west, east and south side with pointed opening containing richly cusped ogee arch and quatrefoil above. Heads above west and south bell openings. C19 north bell opening with round head and 2 round headed lights. Moulded eaves above with projecting corner gargoyles. Tall battlements above. North side of nave with 2 rectangular windows each of 3 round headed cusped lights, divided by 2 stage buttress. C19 north vestry with plinth, west doorway with 4 centred head with partially glazed door. East window of 2 cusped pointed lights. Chancel with broad brick buttressing on north side. East end with plinth, 2 stage diagonal buttresses and pointed window of 3 cusped lights with intersecting tracery. Early C14 hood mould and label stops. South side of chancel with plinth, C19 pointed window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil, hood mould and label stop heads. Blocked late C14 window to west with triangular head, 2 cusped lights with diamond above, hood mould and single label stop to west. Nave with brick plinth, 3 rectangular windows, each with 3 round headed cusped lights and hood moulds. Pointed, double chamfered tower arch of c1820 with moulded jambs. Early C13 chancel arch heavily restored in C19, with pointed, double chamfered head, inner order supported on polygonal responds with moulded abaci. Small early C13 capital to south west. Chancel with moulded C19 organ arch with shallow pointed head and chamfered jambs. Pointed C19 vestry doorway beyond with continuous moulded surround and plank door. Chancel north wall with late C13 tomb set in C19 tomb recess with ball flower decoration. Recumbent female effigy with angels supporting pillow, hands in prayer, shield lying on her middle, dog at feet, re-cut face and rich drapery. C19 timber roofs with ornate corbels and bosses. South side of chancel with 2 pointed C19 sedilia with cusping and large central dove. Monuments in nave include early C13, richly coped Purbeck marble coffin lid. Early C17 ashlar monument to Sir Vincent Fulnetby and wives, c.1593, with tall finials and numerous shields. Pink, white and grey veined marble monument to Sir Sapcote Harington, died 1630, with wife, both in prayer under round headed arches with 3 daughters and 2 sons in prayer set beneath with winged skull and laurel wreath. White marble monument to Dorothy Leigh, died 1613 with woman in ruff kneeling at prieu dieu. Brasses re-set on ashlar in 1890, of William Mettram of Bolington, died 1590, with standing woman in embroidered dress to right, fragment of praying woman on left with a knight's armoured legs below. Coats of arms in between. White marble monument to Anna Matham died 1602, with Death with sickle and hour glass, woman kneeling in ruff with 3 sons and 2 daughters in front of her, and 3 daughters behind. Grey marble monument to Charles and Elizabeth Metham, 1628, with man and woman kneeling opposite each other, wearing ruffs. Font with quatrefoiled panels of 1902. C20 altar rail, pews and lecturn.

Listing NGR: TF1069979070

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 197209

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing