This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1308367

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wrangle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192033

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 45 SW WRANGLE CHURCH LANE (west side)

3/116 Church of St. Mary 26.1.67 and St. Nicholas

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1300, C13, C14, c.1345-71, C15, C16, restored 1875-8 by Ewan Christian. Limestone ashlar, lead and slate roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. 3 stage tower with stepped corner buttresses, coved cornice and short pinnacles. To belfry stage 2 light openings with cusped heads and wide central mullion. Small west door with chamfered pointed head. Above a 4 light C15 window with panel tracery. North aisle has facetted stair tower and C16 4 light west window, battlemented parapet, corner pinnacles and stepped buttresses. 5 matching C15 5 light windows with cusped heads to the lights and panel tracery. North door with hood mould bearing grotesques. Above a blocked niche. Larger C15 4 light east window. Battlemented clerestory with 6 two light windows. C14 chancel with slate roof has 2 three light reticulated windows and single curvilinear traceried window. Tall 5 light reticulated east window of 1345-71. South chancel wall is similar to north, also with priest's door. South aisle has tall stair turret on east side and a C19 3 light east window. On the south side are 5 three light C15 windows with panel tracery in deeply moulded reveals, and a 4 light west window. The C15 2 storey porch has pointed outer arch with above a 3 light parvise window with cusped heads to the lights, above is a small niche containing a statue. The gabled porch is battlemented with crocketed corner pinnacles and grotesque supporters. C13 inner doorway with paired shafts to the reveals, hobnail annular capitals, dogtooth moulding, deeply moulded pointed arch. Set within this is a trefoil headed surround with dogtoothing and leaf terminals. Interior. Tall C14 6 bay nave arcades with octagonal piers and moulded arches. Quatrefoil western respond with angle fillets. Fine c.1200 tower arch with shafted reveals, waterleaf capitals, a hollow chamfer, keeled roll, and order of wedge shaped motifs with lozenged hood. C14 chancel arch with octagonal reveals, double shafted, with fleurons to octagonal imposts. C14 nave roof having braced tie beams to low crown posts, figured corbels. The north aisle matches and in the south aisle is a C15 roof having moulded principals, bosses and angels. In the south aisle a moulded 4 centred arched door to rood loft and a door above in the nave. Triple sedilia with double piscina in chancel, with ogee arches. In north aisle windows are fragments of C15 glass including demi figures and angels. Fittings. Early C17 octagonal pulpit having Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze, enriched with straps. On the panels are blank arches, arabesques and guilloche. C19 ornate carved wooden gilded reredos. Font, 1724, plain octagonal bowl, with sunk panels, fluted stem, 3 steps. Inscribed Ric. Bailey, Vicar 1724. Monuments. Brasses of John Reade d.1503, wife and children, in chancelfloor. To Sir John Read, d.1626, large alabaster sideboard tomb, having deceased and wife lying on a tomb chest, carved with weepers. Behind a tail pedimented inscription panel with swags, escutcheon and funeral helm. to Rev. Richard Bailey, d.1775. Eared wall plaque with broken pediment and cross.

Listing NGR: TF4248350849

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 42484 50854

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308367 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 04:00:41.

End of official listing