This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1308377

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SHALFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rayne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115063

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7222 RAYNE SHALFORD ROAD 21/12/67 RAYNE HALL GREEN

8/181 Church of All Saints

GV I

Parish church. Believed to be circa 1510 west tower. Built for Sir William Capell. C19 Nave, Chancel, Choir, Vestry and South Porch. Circa 1914 Sanctuary and Clergy Vestry. Red brick. Red tiled roofs. Stone dressings to C19 windows moulded red brick C20 windows. The very fine west tower, 11 ft. by 10 ft. of 3 stages with some blue brick diapering. Stepped buttresses, diagonal to west, set back to north east with octagonal stair turret to south east, this with moulded band to first and third stages, crenellated to second stage and pyramidal 4 stage capping. Moulded plinth with a panelled course, 4 contain shields, 2 blank, a lion and an anchor in the other 2, other panels with quatrefolls. Slit lights to each stage. Plinth and stage bands follow through all faces. Crenellated parapet with panels under, crocketed pinnacles at the angles. A small window with 4 centred head to north and south walls. 4 walls of bell chamber each with transomed 2 light louvre openings under a 4 centred head. Slightly projecting west doorway and window plastered, right and left oriel niches to half window height. Doorway with continuously moulded jambs and 4 centred arch under a square head with label. 3 light window with 4 centred head and label. Moulded brick crow stepped pediment surmounted by crocketed pinnacle. The sunken centre panel now with clock face. C19 Nave with angle buttresses surmounted by pinnacles. Three 2 stage buttresses and four 2 light windows to north and south walls. South porch with doorway similar to windows. Parapet to gable. Circular window to east wall gable apex with single light windows to north and south. C20 sanctuary with domed angle buttresses, angled clergy vestry with flat roof. The east window of 3 moulded brick lights with cusping and circles with tracery, in semi-circular head with label extending to buttresses. Cusped 3 light window to vestry, 2 lights with moulded 4 centred heads and one light with cusped segmental head. Moulded brick plinth. The west door now used as the main door. Interior. Tower arch now double, the eastern arch C19. Original 4 centred west arch responds shafted with moulded capitals to east and chamfered to west. Replica Capell helm in tower. Nave with arched braces and side struts to Queen post roof with circular bracing over. Pendants to Queen posts arched braces on corbels to tie beams. Coloured glass to windows. Arms of Earls of Essex over south door. C17 plain stone font. C14 octagonal restored font, with carved panels depicting lion, eagle, ox and man, IHS, cross, dove, hand of God. 2 carved wooden angels believed to be from the old church. C19 carved oak pulpit. Carved oak choir screen 1901, memorial to Queen Victoria, carved by J.L. Rudken. Chancel. Rector's stall C16 carved oak. C15 carved oak panel above entrance to clergy vestry. Bevington of London organ. c.1480 stone slabs in front of altar with indents of a man in armour and a woman with a butterfly head-dress. Santuary C15 sedilia and aumbry of carved oak. c.1914 reredos with 15 carved oak panels of C17. C14 altar rail with carved panels. Stained glass to all windows of Saints, 1914 by the Norwich Glass Company. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL7330922913

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 73309 22913

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 08:30:05.

End of official listing