ASHDON AND HOMELEIGH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1308410
Date first listed:
07-May-1985
Statutory Address:
ASHDON, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
HOMELEIGH, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHDON
 AND HOMELEIGH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308410 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 16:34:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
ASHDON, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
HOMELEIGH, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Tendring (District Authority)
Parish:
Thorpe-le-Soken
National Grid Reference:
TM1778122429

Details

THORPE-LE-SOKEN TM 1622-1722 8/87 7.5.85 HIGH STREET (south-west side) Ashdon and Homeleigh (Tendring Estates)

GV II

House, now office and 2 houses. Circa 1600, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, partly clad with red brick in Flemish bond, partly plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing NE with central stack, forming a lobby-entrance, and rear wing, forming an irregular T-plan. C19 2-storey lean-to extension in right rear angle. Stair tower to rear of left end, and C20 2-storey extension beyond. Small C20 flat-roofed single-storey extension between rear wings. 2 storeys and attics. 5-window range of late C19 sashes of 4 lights in earlier apertures with flat brick arches. Central door of 6 fielded panels with early C19 fluted architrave and moulded flat canopy. At left end of front elevation, early C19 flush 6-panel door, the top 2 panels glazed, with similar but smaller architrave and canopy. In left ground floor room (now an office), chamfered transverse and axial beams with broach stops, joists plastered to the soffits, and wide wood-burning hearth with chamfered mantel beam, reduced. Oak panelling reported to be modern in this room behind present wall surfaces. Remainder of interior mainly concealed by modern finishes.

Listing NGR: TM1778122429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
120316
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14375/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].