Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308456

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951



Ordnance survey map of LAMBOURNE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308456 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 03:38:25.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford (District Authority)

Parish: Canewdon

National Grid Reference: TQ 91309 94259


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CANEWDON LAMBOURNE HALL ROAD TQ 99 SW 7/82 Lambourne Hall 4.12.51 II* House originally a 2 bay hall late C13, with C14, C15, C17 and later alterations and additions. Timber framed and plastered. Red plain tiled roofs. The east face with external left part plastered chimney stack, polygonal attached shafts to central western range and stack to west of rear southern range. Of complex plan and many builds. Mainly 2 storeys or 2 storeys and attics. The present front (east) of 2 storeys and attics with gambrel roof. Flat headed dormer to right of external chimney stack. 3 window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes to right of this chimney stack. C20 part glazed door, red tiled porch on brackets. Right single storey range with a C20 glazed door, central 2 light casement and vertically boarded double doors to right. The left return has a 2-window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes and single attic window. To east is a 2 storey porch originally jettied, now underbuilt at sides, the rear range has a dormer window, forward east range with C20 gabled porch and C20 glazed window. Red brick faced double range to south. Internally the wing to the west was a 2-bay hall of late C13 date, the westernmost bay of which has a later double roof, the bay to the east retains its original roof with a crown post with moulded base and capital and thick braces to a collar purlin supported on an end crown post adjoining the crosswing. The whole roof heavily sooted and the base of a smoke louvre opening extant. Circa 1480 intruded brick chimney stack probably preceding the intrusion of the first floor. The wing to the east was originally a 4-bay crosswing with an off-centre narrow bay possibly leading to an external kitchen to the east. The frame of this wing is still in place up to the original roof plate level, from that level upwards attics were added under a gambrel roof probably during the C17 with the incorporation of a contemporary staircase running from an arched opening with imposts and keystone moulded in plaster. That the hall and crosswing were built within a short time span is supported by the fact that although the frames are separate neither exhibit an external wall or weathering. There is the possibility that the wing is a replacement of an earlier wing, but the remaining frame has sufficient archaic detailing to suggest this is not the case. Collar purlin scarf is simple splay with undersquinted abuttments. RCHM 4.

Listing NGR: TQ9130994259


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 123116

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

End of official listing