ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1308488
Date first listed:
25-Jul-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
ALMSHOUSES, 1-4, STYDD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308488 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:11:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALMSHOUSES, 1-4, STYDD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Ribchester
National Grid Reference:
SD 65382 35805

Details

SD 63 NE RIBCHESTER STYDD

8/150 Nos 1 to 4 (Almshouses) 25.7.52 (formerly listed as Stydd Almshouses under Stydd Lane)

GV II*

Almshouses, founded under the will of John Shireburne, who died in 1726. Sandstone ashlar and brick (the sides and rear pebbledashed) with stone slate roof. 2 storeys, unusual for alms houses. The central portion projects with a truncated shaped gable, topped by a cornice. On the 1st floor is an arcade of 3 semi-circular moulded arches with keystones, 2 unfluted Doric columns and 2 similar half columns as responds. The 2 outer openings have stone balustrades. This is approached by a central flight of 16 stone steps, curving outwards at the bottom and having a solid parapet with shaped coping. This is flanked on the ground floor by 2 open door surrounds with cyma mouldings. Behind the arcade on the 1st floor are 3 doors of 2 raised and fielded panels each. On the ground floor, visible through the outer stone doorways, are 3 similar doors and 2 sashed windows with glazing bars. On each side of this central portion is one bay of the main building, having sashed windows with glazing bars in plain stone surrounds of quarter-round section. The end gables have copings and chimney caps. At the rear are modern windows with plain reveals.



Listing NGR: SD6538635802

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183036
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11921/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Hindle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].