OLD SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308534

Date first listed: 19-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: OLD SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308534 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:50:32.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston (District Authority)

Parish: Butterwick

National Grid Reference: TF3859344395

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 34 SE BUTTERWICK SCHOOL LANE (east side)

12/19 Old School (formerly listed as 19.11.51 The Girls' school)

G.V. II

Former school, now village hall. Founded 1665, extended and altered 1878 and C20. Red brick, ashlar dressings, with raised brick coped tumbled gable to left and moulded kneeler; fishscale tiled roofs. L-plan. Single storey, altered 4 bay front with brick plinth and band rising over formal central door and flanking windows in Fen Artisan Mannerist style. Dogtooth eaves course. Central C19 cross mullioned window flanked by single 3 light mullioned windows with ashlar surrounds, which are in part original. Latticed cast iron casements. Above C19 2 light shallow fixed lights. To left a lower C19 single bay extension also with latticed casements. To right is a slightly advanced gabled bay of 1878 containing a triple mullioned window. In the left hand later gable a shield bears the date of 1659. To the rear a projecting chimney stack has a C19 octagonal ashlar stack. It is flanked by single 2 and 3 light mullioned windows matching those to the front. The rear range is dated 1878 in raised brickwork. The school, originally for Boys, was endowed by Anthony Pinchbeck, yeoman of Butterwick. Source: Thompson. History of Boston.

Listing NGR: TF3859344395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 191933

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Thompson, , History of Boston

End of official listing