PETWOOD HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308567

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: PETWOOD HOTEL, STIXWOULD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PETWOOD HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308567 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 05:55:39.

Location

Statutory Address: PETWOOD HOTEL, STIXWOULD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Woodhall Spa

National Grid Reference: TF 19229 63792

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODHALL SPA STIXWOULD ROAD TF 16 SE 9/68 Petwood Hotel II Hotel. 1905, extended 1910. Red brick plinth. The remainder is in a fanciful half timbered Tudor style with plain tiled roofs and 10 clustered red brick stacks. L-plan. Irregular facade of 3 and 2 storeys, the entrance wing of 7 bays the cross wing of 6. The emphasised entrance bay has carved ashlar ground floor comprising moulded stone doorway with shields in the spandrels, flanked by single lights with semi-circular heads. Above is an oriel with central bow window which runs through 2 floors and has a highly ornate timber frieze at its base. The gable over is decorated with a criss cross design. To the right hand side of the entrance bay is a tall stair window with decorative leaded lights set under a scalloped gable. The 3 bays beyond contain a variety of 3 and 4 light openings. The gabled end bay contains the Ballroom which was added c.1910. To the left are 2 gabled bays containing 5 light openings. The 3 storey cross wing has 5 decorative gables and a mixture of 2, 3 and 4 light openings. At ground floor level is a single storey range in the front of the cross wing containing 6 windows of differing sizes and a pair of double doors with flanking windows. All windows have timber mullions and leaded lights. Interior. Fine stair hall containing geometric Elizabethan style stair and gallery landing. The stair has carved newels with strapwork design and paired carved balusters with lions feet. The hall is oak panelled to dentillated picture rail. The oak room has similar panelling and a stone fireplace with carved oak mantle comprising three recessed arches over the fireplace, flanked by pairs of highly ornate Ionic columns. Several suites on the first floor have decorative fireplaces with matching mirrors. The hotel was owned by the Maples family of Maples furniture and this accounts for the high quality of the fittings. It was used as the Officers Mess of the famous 617 Squadron during the 2nd World War.

Listing NGR: TF1922963792

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195250

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing