Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308600.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2021 at 10:07:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
Withern with Stain
National Grid Reference:
TF 42467 82173


TF 48 SW WITHERN WITH STAIN CHURCH LANE (north side) 4/51 Church of St Margaret 9.3.67 G.V. II Parish church, now closed. C15, 1812 rebuilding, 1875 restoration. Red brick, ashlar dressings, render and slate roofs. Nave with bellcote, aisles, south porch, chancel, north chapel and vestry. The west wall is featureless apart from small 4 centred arched light and 4 stepped buttresses. A gabled ashlar bellcote to apex. To the north wall are 3 three light windows with intersecting tracery. The rendered north chapel has a semi-circular headed window on the north and in the east wall a reset C15 window of 2 lights, and a similar window in the north wall of the chancel, may be reused clerestory lights. The east window is of 3 lights with C19 reticulated tracery. In the south wall of the chancel is a window of 2 lights and a further 2 light window in the vestry. The south nave windows match those to the north. The later C19 gabled porch has a single chamfered outer arch, with C15 reveals and reset human head label stops. The inner doorway is 4 centred and single chamfered, and is recut. Interior. 3 bay nave arcades. C15, octagonal piers, double chamfered arches. Plain pointed chancel arch, double chamfered arch to north chapel and similar at east end of north aisle. Fittings removed apart from C19 west gallery and facetted pulpit. At the east end of the south aisle a marble wall monument 1858 with draped urn. Church is now in advanced state of decay.

Listing NGR: TF4246782173


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10856/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].