WEST BOWERS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308604

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Statutory Address: WEST BOWERS HALL, WEST BOWERS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST BOWERS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308604 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 02:24:52.

Location

Statutory Address: WEST BOWERS HALL, WEST BOWERS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Woodham Walter

National Grid Reference: TL 79794 07686

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 70 NE WOODHAM WALTER WEST BOWERS ROAD

2/206

10.1.53 West Bowers Hall

GV II*

House. C15/C16 with later alterations and additions including C20 right gabled crosswing which incorporates medieval timber. Exposed timber frame with arched bracing. Red plain tiled roofs. External left and right red brick chimney stacks, central chimney stack with 4 attached diagonal shafts. 2 storeys and attics. Original left range with central gabled stair turret and moulded bressummer to first floor jetty. Mainly 2:1:1 window range of vari-light C20 casements, excepting original 6 light mullion to left of stair turret, bay to ground floor left and 2 storey 5 light bays to C20 extension. Gabled attic dormers to rear and to extension return. Original 12 panelled nailed door with rails and muntins, vase and other carvings to surround. Interior features include fine C17 panelled room with pilasters. Carved and panelled fire surround, with segmental arches to overmantel. Jowled storey posts. Stop chamfered bridging joists. Moulded wall plate to first floor corridor. 2 original first floor brick fireplaces, one with stop chamfered segmental head, the other with stepped surround and segmental pointed head. Open well staircase with moulded handrail and heavy turned balusters. Ground floor room with C18 panelling and corner cupboard, possibly from elsewhere. Woodblock hall floor from Chelmsford Cathedral. Good quality side purlin roof structure. The present owner possesses a Heptaglottan dated 1669, author, Edmundus Castellos, owner of the house at that date. RCHM 10.

Listing NGR: TL7979407686

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 119179

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing